Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ridin' the Dale Trail: Dreams do come true.


Even with current gas prices, the smell of burnt rubber and insane amounts of wasted gas always gets my loins burning!  I knew I was an Intimidator fan when I read his quote:  The winner ain't the one with the fastest car - it's the one who refuses to lose.  Now, I mostly like the quote because he used the word "ain't" correctly there but also, it sort of defines my life.  I get chills when I yell it at other cars on I-85 going south to Charlotte or at students in my classroom.  I also think that quote is more appropriate than yelling his famous "I wasn't tryin' to wreck him - I was just tryin' to rattle his cage" quote toward other motorists...or students. 
The picture at the top of the page is the plaque at the memorial site I went to, and mysterious reflection of a very attractive young man.  Probably an apparition from my time at the cemetery yesterday.

Anyway, after seeing Earnhardt's ancestorial burial-grounds yesterday, I decided it was finally time for me to take my V-6 Camery down the Dale Trail.  Vroom!  After his unfortunate and untimely death in February of 2001, mourning fans all over Nascar country and the universe created memorials for this legend.  I have a certain connection with this man for many-a-
reason.  1.  My dad said he went to elementary school with the man.  2. I road (drove?) in a pace car around Lowe's 
motor speedway.  3.  I ain't no loser and I
 always win, especially in a pace car.  That being said
, I drove the Dale Trail all the way down to this memorial park created by loyal fans in downto
wn Kannapolis.  After exiting off of I-85, passing by Bojangles, BiLo Supermarket, and eventually into a shopping center, the Dale Trail ends at this famed spot.  Maybe Bojangles 
was #3's favorite fastfood eatery?  That's the only reason why they made the Trail go this route that I can think of.

At the center of the Dale Memorial Park, there lies a huge
 bronze statue of a man.  I stood by this statue and was incredibly intimidated...convenient nickname  Who knew Dale was over 9 feet tall?  I had to look in my Dale Trail tour guide to make sure I didn't make a wrong right to the Paul Bunyon trail.  Actually, the scary p
art w
as I felt like I was in the Red Square with Stalin looking over his village.  Stalin was about 9 feet tall give or take, right?  Nonetheless, I stood by the statue and tried to imitate the braun of Earnhardt.  I'm the smaller, less bronzed gentleman in the photo.  Seriously, was he actually a bodybuilder?  I wonder when they are going to erect a 70 foot #3 race car to give people hints at why this man was
 great.  Anyway, enjoy the pics of Dale and all his glory.  I spinned my wheels and held 3 fingers up as I drove away...I hope you do the same.


No comments: