Thursday, July 31, 2008

Loving Chicago is like loving a woman with a broken nose.

I read that quote somewhere in Chicago.  There is no punchline, so figure out that for yourself.
So, I visited my friend Dr. John Cull for a week in Chicago.  And, by visit Dr. Cull, I mean stay at his place, eat all of his food (ok, he had no food in his fridge, only an endless supply of soda), and never actually see him.  John is in his first year of residency, so he worked the ENTIRE time I was in Chicago.  I saw him briefly for drinks and dinner.  Our 2 hour jaunt was, for John,  "the most I've gone out in Chicago in two months."  Glad to be of service.  One morning, John came home after a 30 hour shift so tired that he could barely walk.  This, in my opinion, is a safe way to run a hospital.
That being said, Chicago was an amazing city.  I didn't take that many pictures, but by the looks of it, I was obviously impressed with the height of some of the buildings.  
This is me doing the "take a picture of myself" (which I've perfected) on the Navy Pier.  This "Pier" (with no boats) was the tourist trap from hell.  Still love Chi-town, though.

On the last day in Chicago, I chilled on the beaches of Lake Michigan.  Who knew the midwest had beaches?  Nonetheless, if my nation-wide trip has taught me anything, it is I need to be near a beach.  I've spent most of my free time sitting on the beach and loved every minute of it.

No comments: