Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Mayans - a people who believe we're going to die in 4 years.

Even with unlimited food, beverages, and topless babes (I love European culture!), we were tempted at some culture outside of the luxury and comforts of our resort gates.  Little did we know that not everything is "free" in Mexico.  With our trusty safari mobile (a dodge something-or-other that I broke a front hubcap off the second day), we trekked down to Tulum, an ancient Mayan fort about an hour south of our utopian, semi-nude society.  Even while writing this post, I still wonder at my reasonings for leaving the wonders of our resort.   Anyway, the fort was awesome.  It's apparently smaller than the more famous Chi-chineza, but mostly because we went to the closer fort, I think we lucked out.  Other than also being a massive fort establishment, it was on the water!  Right on the coast.  If I was a Mayan, I would have been chilling by the beach all day, even as the Spaniards pillaged.  
Above are two photos.  One could be on the cover of Playgirl (though, I read it recently went out of circulation), but it's actually Evin and I having man-time in the water off the coast of Tulum.  I'm the sketchy uni-bomber dude showing off my beer and whiskey sculpted body.  As you can see, the water in the Caribbean is a little clearer than the Potomac River.  That being said, nothing beats the majestic glow and undeniable clarity of the Anacostia River.  How I miss thee...

And, here's some more coast/Evin modeling pictures.  I could live there.
Here's Marc and Evin chilling in front of a Mayan temple.  My one problem with the entire fort was the lack of human sacrifice sites.  That's all I've ever read about.  Kill this person(s) for some god for some purpose.  Nope.  Only beaches and rocks at this fort.

And here comes the proverbial phallic structure in every town in the world.  I'm not sure what this long blue thing represents, but I quickly noticed the five gentlemen at the top.  And, unlike most places, these gentlemen were alive.  I was thinking I might be witnessing some sort of human sacrifice, but they were too joyous and musically inclined to be awaiting death.  They had local instruments and played for the entire time we were in Tulum, in full dress and in 100 degree heat.  Maybe these dudes were gods themselves?  

Anyway, Tulum was a great excursion from our resort.  Even while taking these photos, though, I yearned for free drinks and food.  And sunbathers.

No comments: